PioneerRx
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tag as favorite Move Topic Unlock Topic Lock Topic Delete Topic New Topic Post Reply
Whitney Culpepper
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 11:28:38 AM(UTC) by Whitney Culpepper
Does anyone know of a way to handle when you transfer a prescription written for 30 tablets a month, but only has 75 total tablets remaining? Can't figure out a way to put 30 tablets plus 1.5 refills other than creating a prescription for 75 tablets and 0 refills.
Bruno Tching inlandpharmacy@verizon.net (951)658-7111 California
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:12:59 PM(UTC) by Bruno Tching inlandpharmacy@verizon.net (951)658-7111 California
I don't think you can put partial refills. Doing 75 with zero refills is kind of a fuzzy gray area too.
Whitney Culpepper
#3 Posted : Monday, October 9, 2017 2:49:43 PM(UTC) by Whitney Culpepper
So then how do you handle this then?
Bruno Tching inlandpharmacy@verizon.net (951)658-7111 California
#4 Posted : Monday, October 9, 2017 4:00:29 PM(UTC) by Bruno Tching inlandpharmacy@verizon.net (951)658-7111 California
Keep in mind, that your state board regulations maybe different from mine. Also, the prescription payer method may affect how you handle this as well.

In general, this is how I usually approach this problem:

If getting a new rx from the prescriber is a breeze, I'll just get a new rx and On-Hold/DC the transfer.

If it's not a breeze, I'll usually let the patient know I rounded down to the nearest whole rx and let them know that we will make sure we send a renewal request before their final fill runs out. In this case it would be 1 + 1 = 60tabs for a non-controlled. (Of course retain the original transfer info if you're rounding)

If it's a control, you need a detailed fill history before you can decide how you want to do it. You'd have to know how may partial fills have been done and how may days worth of refills have been filled to comply with the 5refills/120days DEA regulation.